Thursday, April 1, 2010

3 Months in Sispec

The first day i entered sispec, i started to think about what i'm going to achieve during my time here. Taking one step at a time, i aimed to get silver for my ippt. Took my first 28km march , flung badly for my SOC. Shooting wasn't what i'm good at. Under the command of a young and ambitious platoon commander, Warrant Omar. He criticizes me for things i'm not good at, taught us things by telling us to do first, without explanations that allows us to learn by ourselves. That is a really great way to learn because we totally understand why we have to do something. Those things make up my 2 months in Basic Section Leader Course(BSLC).

After BSLC comes my Advanced Section Leader Course (ASLC) term which many says no to it. It is a course that further touches on more infantry skills. Since i got here, its a by hook or by crook thing for me to complete. I realized that SOC is something i have to work harder for in order to complete, as it is a veto factor for ASLC. I started preparing myself 2 weeks before the actual test. I took on a disciplined habit which consist of no soft drinks after a vigorous activity, no gulping of water(taking sips when drinking for more effective absorption), no alcohol during weekends, wearing of Standard Battle Order(SBO) when others take them off. That is the extra mile i took. My timing for SOC improved vastly from 14min 25sec to 9min 35 sec, from a fail to a pass!

IPPT Gold was the second target for me to achieve. The motivation is the extra $100 which i'm too near but yet not able to achieve.I decided to retake the test. The first try was close with 9cm away for my Standing Broad Jump(SBJ) station. The other 4 stations were cleared. Second attempt, and yet my SBJ was only 4cm away. I'm getting closer and closer but still not yet good enough to achieve gold. Repeated failures never stopped me from trying again. I took my third attempt and achieved gold. I did it!

No comments: